Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Adding Details

Whenever you write, you want to capture the reader's attention. One way you can do this is by adding details. You could describe what you saw, how something looked, or what you heard. You could describe someone's personality or appearance. When you add details that are about what you hear, taste, smell, see, or feel, you are adding sensory details. Sensory details along with other descriptions can really make your writing better. For example:

Before:
When I was about to cross the street, a car drove past me. I was shocked but continued after it left.

After:
When I was about to cross the busy street, a shiny, bright red car flew past me! I was shocked but slowly continued with much hesitation after the loud speed demon left.

You can immediately recognize the difference. In the first example, you can't make that good of a picture in your head. In the second example, the writing is interesting and fun to read. Another thing you can do is replacing words like "good" and "bad" with words like "awesome" and "terrible." You can also become more specific with details. Let's do one more example.

Before:
In Alaska, I found sea glass. It looked cool. My mom and I thought that the beach we found it on was pretty. We went inside the shop after that. It was fun.

After:
In Juneau, Alaska, I found a gorgeous piece of sea glass! It looked amazing with a light blue color and a perfect diamond shape. My mom and I thought that the rocky beach we had found it on was simply amazing. We went into the bordering shop after that. It was awesome.

It's kind of funny how just a few words can make such a huge difference! Well, I hope this helped. Thanks for reading. Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is great advice. I look forward to reading your future posts��

    ReplyDelete